Monday, June 3, 2013

Positive Feedback!


Okay, I didn't want to post my actual thesis statement on facebook, I thought that would seem really weird! So I ended up posting two variations and I was surprised at the feedback I received! I've come to two conclusions:
1. I have awesome friends! Seriously, awesome ones.
2. A lot of people agree with me about the necessity for theatre where darker themes are explored. 
I posted this status this morning:





Of course, a lot of my friends are theatre kids - but not all of those who responded fit into that category. 
The next one I posted later on today: 


I was so glad for Aimee Cross, she is a family friend that I've known forever - her kids are my age. I was glad for what she said about gross theatre, I hope that people understand that I don't want to produce darker drama just for the sake of pushing boundaries. That isn't why at all, I'm not about that.
Because she pointed that out, I feel that my paper will be better because now I will make that distinction.
I don't want to direct Night Mother because it is dark! I want to direct Night Mother because it is a beautifully written play with very accessible characters. I want to direct it because it talks about real things, heavy things, in a way that isn't oppressive or suffocating to the audience. I want to direct it because by the end of the play it is clear as an audience member what is right and what is wrong. 
Theatre is a safe place to explore darker, more bleak, subjects. It is a safe environment to bring up questions like: If I don't want to live my life anymore, why can't I just give up? 

I had the opportunity to talk to one of my professors today about this very topic, and she said something so wonderful that I actually made her repeat it as I wrote it down. I won't say it here - I want to save it for my paper.

Mostly what I am saying here is that I am just glad that I posted these questions. I am glad for the feedback and for the encouragement. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great, thought-provoking post. I love that so many of your friends commented. Aimee brings up a good point - pushing boundaries just to push boundaries is uninspiring. But if it's for the purpose of challenging ideas, I think it's really interesting. I saw Women of Lockerby (sp?) at BYU, and although it was an extremely dark play, I gained a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that the comments were able to give you a better perspective on your future in Drama and here at the University. If you keep in mind that their needs to be a point to the darkness, than you are on the right track!

    ReplyDelete